Thursday, October 24, 2013

Since we last checked in...

We left our anchorage at Spooner's Creek, and headed for Topsail Sound, NC. We had to pass through Camp LeJeune for about 6 miles. That's where we saw 2 of the coolest things we've seen so far. The first was a line of amtracks waiting to cross the channel. I called them tanks, but was swiftly corrected by my Marine Corps brother. Whatever they were called, they were cool. I guess its like a military duck boat.
Amtrack
Then, not ten minutes later, we were entertained by a huge group of dolphins, playing and jumping in the water. One swam along our boat for a minute, and if I had had my legs hanging over the side he would have bumped them when he surfaced. It was so neat! Of course I didn't get any pictures of the dolphins, I don't know what my problem is, I just cant get one.

Carolina Beach, NC
The next few days were uneventful. We did meet back up with our friends on Links at Wrightsville Beach, and then continued on together to Carolina Beach the following day. That's where we put our feet in the Atlantic Ocean for the first time since leaving Jersey. The next day found us in Calabash Creek, SC. The town of Calabash is actually NC, so the state line must have been somewhere along our dinghy ride to shore.

Leaving Links again
Our friends were staying in Calabash for another day, so we were up and out early in the morning. It was chilly and drizzly, but the plan was to keep heading south. "They" always say, have a plan B, C and D because things rarely go as planned. We are certainly fine with that and always have plenty of options. But then there's some things that just come up. Or go down, in this case. After going only about 7 miles, we noticed one of our gauges went down...again. We just happened to be passing a condo complex with an entirely empty dock. We pulled right in and tied up. Within a few hours, and a few bike rides into town, the problem was solved (we think)! I guess I'm learning to appreciate the uneventful days. The weather was pretty yucky anyway, so we decided to stay the night. We walked into town and enjoyed some wings and a game of pool at a local saloon. And thanks to Carolina Yacht Landing for the free dock for the night! (I don't think anyone even knew we were there!)

Waccamaw River
 
 

The next morning we joined the parade of boats heading down the Waccamaw River. It was a great day. We are finding that so far every day has been a great day. As one of our good friends put it, It's not a vacation we are on, we chose to live a different lifestyle. It certainly beats going to work every day, but it is work, and it is exhausting! But we are appreciating every aspect of this trip.

Our only friends in the creek, the turtles.
Last night we were anchored in Cow House Creek all by ourselves. We loved it, and I'm pretty sure I won the owl hooting contest. Tonight we are in Minum Creek with one other boat, so I guess that means Bud has to shower inside!

Hopefully we will get an early start tomorrow and make it to Charleston, but you never know!

1 comment:

  1. Oh another problem ?? I hope u two know what your doing with wires & gagues. What will u do if something like this happens when u go to the Islands out in the middle of the ocean, I will be snowwhite when u get home .i'll really need the hair dye!! besides your gauges what else is new. I 'm having problems with my printer. I tried to print this log and something is goofed up with the printer got to get Eddie over here. Everyone is ok here weather is getting colder. your father is still alive!! haven't killed him yet. we might go to the flea market at blue claws stadium on sun, going to bring some shite. Jen u look great, and your hair is turning blond is that the SUN? . well guys please becareful I pray for u everynite & day, hope your wearing your medals ok God Bless remember I love u both Stay Safe. love mom

    ReplyDelete