Thursday, October 31, 2013

What a difference a year makes...

 
This was the view from our cockpit a year ago, thanks to Sandy.


We were lucky and made out fine. Many friends and family didn't, and a year later are still affected by the devastation and trying to rebuild. Like I said, we were lucky and still are. This is the view from our cockpit these days.


We had a long 54 mile cruise into Charleston, and planned on staying 2 nights. After fueling up, we anchored out across from the Charleston Megadock.  Wow, just when you thought you've seen some big yachts, you see this guy...Rising Sun.
 


The next day we spent biking around the beautiful city. We found a great farmers market where we picked up some fresh bread and veggies. That night we enjoyed an excellent seafood dinner at the Fleet Landing Restaurant. Our kids had given us a gift certificate, and we thoroughly enjoyed our date night.
 
 
Two days after leaving Charleston we pulled into Lady's Island Marina. Lady's Island is just across from Beaufort, and it's where we planned on meeting up with The Murphy's, who live there. It was so great to see familiar faces! Mary took me food shopping, and for the first time in a long time I used a full sized cart...and I filled it up! Mike ran some boat errands for Bud, and even called his mechanic to help us finally fix our gauge problems! On top of helping us out all day they had us over for a delicious home cooked meal! I'm always sad to say goodbye to the Murphy's, but we will be back before you know it.
 
 
So now we are on our way through Georgia. Since Charleston, we have been back together with our buddy boat and it's been great. We keep telling them to let us know when they've had their fill of us, but they must be glutton for punishment. Bud and Tim can talk technical boat stuff for hours, while Jill and I talk about the important things like dolphins and beads and things.
 
Well, by my calculations, at the end of today we will have travelled 1026 miles, and I must say we have enjoyed every single one of them! I can only imagine what the next few months will bring, but we're ready. I might even get Bud to relax a little bit!
With views like this, how could he not...
 
 
~ Jen & Bud
 




2 comments:

  1. Just read the latest news. The pics are beautiful, I have been making copys of everything. I hope u to are enjoying this , that's what it was for to rest and enjoy. I know its a lot of work but please enjoy yourselves you both deserve it. Bud start to relax, Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope u have been getting my posts. seen the latest pics just beautiful, please relax, I know its work but u have to enjoy it keep the news coming I look forward to reading about the adventures love u both and Relax love mom & dad

    ReplyDelete